• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official NRL 2006 Thread

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mister Wright said:
He wasn't disrespecting the Haka. He was having a go at Brent Webb who is an aboriginal doing the Haka.
Thats bad enough, by disrespecting or having a go at somebody doing the haka you are disprespecting the haka. It's not important that Webb is aboriginal, he has adopted NZ as his homeland and now performs the haka as a sign of that. It's quite hard to explain if you aren't Maori or even an NZ'er.

Mister Wright

Perm said:
Thats bad enough, by disrespecting or having a go at somebody doing the haka you are disprespecting the haka. It's not important that Webb is aboriginal, he has adopted NZ as his homeland and now performs the haka as a sign of that. It's quite hard to explain if you aren't Maori or even an NZ'er.
What the? It would be different if Mason was saying "You're a bunch of ****ing morons and the Haka is a piece of ****."

He was saying, "You're an Aboriginal, what the **** are you doing the Haka for?"

There is a big difference between disrespecting the Haka and having a go at someone who is not a Kiwi for doing the Haka. Much the same as a lot of people having a go at Hunt for choosing to play for Australia. They aren't disrepecting Australian's just him for choosing to play for Australia.

And as far as Webb adopting NZ as his homeland, I think that's the funniest thing I've heard all week. He went to the Warriros because he couldn't get a game with another club and chose NZ because he was far back in a long list of fullbacks for QLD. Isn't he off to England next season anyway?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, he's going to England, and he only qualifies for NZ under residency. What's he going to do when he goes to England?

Craig

World Traveller
burkey_1988 said:
I doubt the Tigers would have been able to pay him more than that, surely.
Like I said the article was done over 9 months ago so I my memory might be a slight hazy now :p

Perm

Mister Wright said:
What the? It would be different if Mason was saying "You're a bunch of ****ing morons and the Haka is a piece of ****."

He was saying, "You're an Aboriginal, what the **** are you doing the Haka for?"

There is a big difference between disrespecting the Haka and having a go at someone who is not a Kiwi for doing the Haka. Much the same as a lot of people having a go at Hunt for choosing to play for Australia. They aren't disrepecting Australian's just him for choosing to play for Australia.

And as far as Webb adopting NZ as his homeland, I think that's the funniest thing I've heard all week. He went to the Warriros because he couldn't get a game with another club and chose NZ because he was far back in a long list of fullbacks for QLD. Isn't he off to England next season anyway?
No there is not. By having a go at somebody doing the haka, even if he isn't a Kiwi you are disrespecting the haka. Like I said, it's hard to explain to somebody who isn't Maori or a New Zealander. Do we criticize Karmichael Hunt for singing Advance Australia Fair? The media do but our players aren't out there shouting abuse at him and being disrespectful. the haka is a respect thing, Mason was being an idiot and deserved what he got.

Mister Wright

Perm said:
No there is not. By having a go at somebody doing the haka, even if he isn't a Kiwi you are disrespecting the haka. Like I said, it's hard to explain to somebody who isn't Maori or a New Zealander. Do we criticize Karmichael Hunt for singing Advance Australia Fair? The media do but our players aren't out there shouting abuse at him and being disrespectful. the haka is a respect thing, Mason was being an idiot and deserved what he got.
No there is a difference. Webb isn't a Kiwi, he's a Kiwi by default and is only playing for them because he couldn't make the Qld or Australian side and because he qualifies for residency.

Hunt's situation is different. He could have played for NZ if he wanted to, he was offered a jersey for the test side years ago and declared his loyalty to Australia at the same time.

Disrespecting someone because they are doing the Haka just because they live in NZ is totally different - like travelling to Pluto and back - to disrespecting the whole history that comes along with the Haka.

Perm

I'm afraid we'll have to disagree on this subject Mister Wright, and here's hoping there is a great test match in store for us tonight.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
You're in Lala Land if you didn't realise Prince is a money hunter. He left the Cowboys for the Broncos in search of the big dollars. Then when the Broncos didn't offer him the contract he wanted off he went again. Is it really that much of a surprise that he left for the Coast in search of the money?
Yes i know that but you would think a bloke who was given all the opportunities the Tigers gave him and won a premiership with the team would have some loyalty...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
RE: the haka; it's obviously of Maori origin, but it's pretty much indelibly linked to NZ Rugby now as much as black jerseys & choking in World Cups (:p). I personally have no issue with Webb or any other adopted NZer doing it. John Gallagher (Pom of Irish heritage) did it when he played for the ABs, as does Steve Devine (ex Oz 7s player).

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dont see the point of the Haka before a game of rugby league. Willie just said what we were all thinking re Brent Webb but i dont think things like that need to be said like that...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well I think the kiwis made their feelings on the subject known pretty well; actions speaking louder than words, clearly. :D

Craig

World Traveller
New Zealand leading 4-0 with a mountain of possesion and penalties but they have to make it count eventually or else.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Lockyer and Hunt having shockers. Very happy about the latter's performance. Also interesting to see that when Inglis comes off his wing and slots in like a fullback would he makes a break and scores...

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Well done to Hunt to set up that last try. If he starts doing that on a regular basis he might deserve his spot.

Perm

Absolutely gutted by that comeback from Australia, just too much class for us in the end. Especially Greg Inglis, first time I've really seen him play some good rugby and he tore us to bits a couple of times.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Perm said:
Absolutely gutted by that comeback from Australia, just too much class for us in the end. Especially Greg Inglis, first time I've really seen him play some good rugby and he tore us to bits a couple of times.
First time you've ever seen him play then?

Perm

I have seen him play a couple of times but to me he has never really stood out as the next best thing, I knew he was talented and a good player but that's the first time I've seen him live up to his reputation.